Friday, March 21, 2014

Master Swimwear- Day 5

Hi All!

I can't believe my whole first week of swimwear is over! Time is just flying- along with our sewing machines- and today was no disappointment- I finished my second suit and all I can say is WOW!



I'm so happy with it! I took it home with me just so I could do my proper photo shoot!


Check out the symmetry on the back!- I love when that works out!


Inside this one, as I said in yesterday's post, is the floating bra- the cups are made from swim foam.


They call it a floating bra because as you can see from the above picture, it isn't fully attached to the lining, only at the side seams- so the front is free to move around over it!


This picture is to show what I meant by a 'modesty panel'- as you can see the ruched piece stops at the top of the leg.

I learned a neat new technique to sew the elastic into the back of this suit today- called the 'flip & stitch'

This is how to looks from the inside:


This is what it looks like in between the lining and the outside fabric- basically you sew the front fabric and the lining together over the bottom piece of the swimsuit (right sides together- so the right side of the outer fabrics are facing together, and the right side of the lining and the wrong side of the bottom suit is together). Then you sew the bottom of the elastic to the seam allowance and the top to the lining piece.

This way- you can't see any of the elastic from the outside of the suit and it is all secured down! :)


But far from wanting to steal all the attention- I thought I would show you some of the works of my wonderfully talented classmates!

Lizzie *painstakingly* cut and lined up this amazing princess chevron suit- (still needing the elastic around the legs!)


And the sexy back with low scoop and bum ruching- which we have now decided is "the brazilian scrunch'

And Lizzie's first suit- which in my opinion is all kinds of sexy Victoria's Secret--

This is Holly's amazingly flashy first suit! Isn't that fabric cool!

And of course the speed demon Naomi with her most beautiful (and reflective!!) princess suit with a small ruch at the top, and modesty panel.


And of course don't forget that brazilian scrunch!

I feel so lucky to be in a class full of the nicest, most creative and talented people- everyone is so amazing and encouraging and I feel like we are all learning so much more because we are pushing each other to do more and think outside the box! It's just amazing! :) <3

And on that note- I will leave you with a little teaser for next week!


That's all you get! - You'll have to come back next week for more!

Also- if you would like to check out PatternReview, I have been reviewing the suits that I make there- so I have my first black/gold suit, and now this suit up there- I also got a PatternReview widget- so if you look at my sidebar you can find them there!

Hope you have a great weekend- I will see you on Sunday for Supper Sunday, then again on Monday for week two of the class!!!

xo erin

15 comments:

  1. Stunning! I love the detail on the back & the ruching. Great fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! :) I'm so happy about how it all came together!

      Delete
  2. Erin - this is a great post. Do you mind if I share it? (Not sure if I know how to do that, but I want your permission before I attempt anything!) Beverly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course!! Share away- I give you full permission to do anything with this!

      Delete
    2. Oh also- I put this bathing suit up on wesewretro.com - it's a community blog site where you can post vintage/retro looking sewing projects- you can check it out if you want to see the post there too!

      Delete
    3. Would you believe they emailed me and are interested in carrying the Pin-up Girls patterns for sale? That's exciting! Thanks so much for blogging about them!

      Delete
  3. Great job! You made a lot of beautiful swimwear :)
    Bodil from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bodil!! I'm just off to Day 6 of my course -- I'm excited to finish another swimsuit today!!

      Delete
  4. Great bathing suit. Just discovered your blog through the wesewretro blog.

    Beverly Johnson is an amazing teacher. I did her weekend corset making course a year or so ago. Great fun.

    Looking forward to seeing what you make in week 2 of the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm having a great time in the course- I'm just working on my Day 6 post now, and you can expect some pink and sparkles!!

      Delete
  5. LOVE it!! It looks great! That's so cool that you are taking that class! I am just learning how to sew garments and would love to work up to making a swimsuit! Luckily, I found a bathing suit at target a few years ago that has the upper support, is black but has pink strap with black polka dots. It's ruched? I think at the sides and the front/hips go down pretty low like yours do. That was a miracle find, bc I hate wearing bathing suits, but that one covers me enough wear I will go swimming in public. I don't have a big chest or anything, but I can definitely see how that would be a problem. I never thought about that, so you made a great point about helping your friends :) I found your blog from wesewretro.com. I can't wait to see what else you make!

    -karrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karrie, thanks for your comment! and I know!, isn't it so hard to find flattering bathing suits- my problem is that I'm 5' 11", long waisted and one-piece bathing suits are never long enough for me from the store! It's so great that you're learning to sew! You will be up to making bathing suits in no time- they really aren't as hard as they look! Thanks for following my blog :) there will be lots more swimwear to come!!

      Delete
  6. You look so fabulous - and the suit is so cute! I am loving the print...reminds me a bit of some of the flower suits from Seafolly (an Australian swimsuit company that I love but is often far out of my price range haha). The back is also really cool, and of course, proper support is a major plus.

    - C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks!! - I'll have to check out Seafolly- maybe pin some of their swimwear for inspiration!

      Delete